Boeing XP-9

Boeing XP-9

Boeing XP-9

The Boeing XP-9 was an unsuccessful design for a shoulder-winged monoplane fighter designed in response to USAAC specification X-1623A. Boeing produced with the Model 96, an all-metal monoplane with shoulder mounted equal cord un-swept wings. The aircraft had a spreader bar main undercarriage and a tail wheel. The open cockpit was positions behind the wing trailing edge, nearer the tail than the nose. The aircraft was constructed around a semi-monocoque fuselage, with metal formers and dural covering behind the undercarriage struts and a welded steel tube framework for the nose. It was longer and with a wider span than either the P-12 or the experimental XP-15, and around 1,000lb heavier than the P-12 when full loaded.

The aircraft was powered by a Curtiss V-1570-15 Conqueror liquid cooled engine, which was meant to have provided 600hp but only produced 583hp. The aircraft received the XP-9 designation on 29 May 1928 and was originally meant to have been delivered in April 1929, but work was slow and it didn't make its maiden flight until 18 November 1930, at the Army Test Centre, Wright Field.

The XP-9 was a disappointing aircraft, with poor handling and a limited view from the cockpit. It was unpopular with the test pilots, partly because the controls were poorly designed. An attempt was made to improve the handling by installing larger vertical tail surfaces taken from a P-12, but the performance was still poor. The Air Corps had an option to take five service assessment Y1P-9s, but decided not to take them. The XP-9 only flew for 15 hours, then in August 1931 it was grounded for use as an instructional airframe.

Engine: Curtiss V-1570-15 liquid cooled engine
Power: Rated at 600hp, actual output 583hp
Crew: 1
Span: 36ft 6in
Length: 25ft 1.75in
Height: 7ft 9in
Empty Weight: 2,669lb
Loaded Weight: 3,623lb
Maximum Speed: 213mph at 12,000ft
Cruising Speed: 180mph
Climb rate: 2,430ft/ min
Ceiling: 26,800ft
Range: 425 miles
Guns: Two 0.5in machine guns
Bomb load: Two 122lb bombs, five 25lb bombs


Boeing XP-9

In May 1928, the USAAC issued a single-seat fighter specification to which Boeing responded with a shoulder-wing all-metal monoplane, the Model 96, which was assigned the official designation XP-9. Low development priority and production problems delayed the planned delivery date of the XP-9 from April 1929 until September 1930, the aircraft eventually flying for the first time on 18 November of that year. Powered by a Curtiss V-1570-15 liquid-cooled engine rated at 600hp, but actually delivering 583hp, the XP-9 featured a semi-monocoque fuselage of sheet Dural over metal formers. Performance proved disappointing, the poor vision from the rear-positioned cockpit and the unpleasant handling characteristics resulting in the test pilot referring to the XP-9 as "a menace". After initial tests, the original vertical tail surfaces were replaced by larger P-12 surfaces, but little improvement resulted and the USAAC did not exercise its option on five Y1P-9s.

Landing and taking off would have been interesting with the lack of forward vision.

As a retired Boeing Customer Quality Manager I am always interested in the airplanes in the Boeing archives and thier history. I have never seen this one before until an article in my Flight Journal magazine, February 2012 issue, page 11 showed it and a website to view and download the plans. I have yet to fine the plans but am still looking. If they are available on the internet someplace I would love to see them. After 33 years with Boeing i am still an airplane nut.


XP-9 được thiết kế vào năm 1928 nhằm đáp ứng yêu cầu của Lục quân Mỹ về một mẫu máy bay tiêm kích một tầng cánh. Thiết kế của nó đã trở thành một tiêu chuẩn cho những máy bay tương lai. Boeing sử dụng các tính năng cấu trúc của XP-9 trong loại tiêm kích hai tầng cánh P-12, khi biến thể P-12E kết hợp một cấu trúc thân kim loại nửa vỏ cứng liền tương tự như XP-9. Cách bố trí bánh đáp của P-12C đã được thử nghiệm trên XP-9 trước và sau đó đưa vào áp dụng cho các mẫu sản xuất. [2]

Nguyên mẫu XP-9, có số hiệu A 028-386, thực hiện chuyến bay đầu tiên vào ngày 18 tháng 11-1930. Nó có số liệu thống kê ấn tượng bản ghi đặc điểm kỹ thuật, nhưng người nhanh chóng nhận ra rằng nó có dây chằng cánh lớn (6 ft), dây chằng được gắn trực tiếp vào thân ở phía trước của phi công, do đó tầm nhìn đã bị hạn chế rát nhiều gây ra nguy hiểm khi hạ cánh. [2] Phi công thử nghiệm tại Trung tâm thử nghiệm lục quân ở Căn cứ Wright nhậm thấy độ không ổn định của XP-9 cần phải khắc phục sửa chữa, nên yêu cần tăng kích cỡ của đuôi đứng. [3] Một thiết kế đuôi đứng lớn với bề mặt là kim loại đã được đưa vào thử nghiệm, nhưng không cải thiện hiệu quả một chút nào, và điều này đã được sửa lại trên XP-15, nhằm bổ sung kiến thức về khung máy bay để hoàn thiện trong tháng 8-1931, chỉ sau 15 giờ bay thử nghiệm. [4]


30 November 1944

Boeing B-17G-75-BO Flying Fortress 43-37877 on fire and going down near Merseberg, Germany, 1314 GMT, 30 November 1944. (American Air Museum in Britain UPL 30040)

30 November 1944: In another iconic photograph from World War II, this Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, B-17G-75-BO 43-37877, of the 836th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 487th Bombardment Group (Heavy), was hit by anti-aircraft artillery just after bomb release near Merseberg, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany, at 1314 GMT, 30 November 1944.

43-37877 was crewed by 1st Lieutenant Lloyd W. Kersten, Pilot 1st Lieutenant Henry E. Gerland, Co-Pilot 1st Lieutenant James Hyland, Navigator 1st Lieutenant Warren R. Ritchhart, Bombardier Technical Sergeant Arnold R. Shegal, Flight Engineer/Gunner Staff Sergeant Everett S. Morrison, Ball Turret Gunner Staff Sergeant Joseph M. Miller, Gunner Staff Sergeant Maurice J. Sullivan, Tail Gunner.

The B-17 crashed near Halle, Sachsen-Anhalt. Seven of the crew were killed. Two, Lieutenants Hyland and Richart, were captured and held as prisoners of war.

43-37877 was built by the Boeing Airplane Company at its Plant II, south of downtown Seattle, Washington. It was delivered to the United Air Lines Modification Center at Cheyenne, Wyoming, on 31 May 1944. After completion of modifications, on 12 June the B-17 was flown to Hunter Army Air Field at Savannah, Georgia, and then on 3 July, to Dow Army Air Field at Bangor, Maine, where it was positioned to be ferried across the north Atlantic Ocean to England.

On 19 June the new bomber was assigned to the 379th Bombardment Group (Heavy), which was based at RAF Kimbolton (U.S. Army Air Force Station 117), west of Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire. Then on 4 July 1944, B-17G 43-32877 was reassigned to the 836th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 487th Bombardment Group (Heavy) at RAF Lavenham (AAF-137), north of Sudbury in Suffolk, England..

43-37877 was not camouflaged. It was marked with a white letter P in a black square on the vertical fin, indicating the 487th Bomb Group, along with a partial serial number, 333787. The side of the fuselage was marked 2G ✪ E, indicating that it was assigned to the 836th Bomb Squadron. The wing tips, vertical fin and rudder, and horizontal stabilizer and elevators were painted yellow.

Two B-17G Flying Fortresses of the 836th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), sometime between 6 January–14 April 1945. In the foreground, marked 2G-P, is a Lockheed Vega-built B-17G-80-VE Flying Fortress, serial number 44-8768. The farther airplane is identified 2G-M. It may be 44-8312. (American Air Museum in Britain, Roger Freeman Collection FRE 8542)


Content Description Return to Top

The collection consists of 150 8" x 10" official Boeing Airplane Company photographs of the production of planes at the Boeing factory on the Duwamish River in Seattle. The photographs document facilities and equipment for testing various airplane parts airplane parts and sections under construction, including a gun mount, frames for airplane wings and bodies, connection beams and engines parts installation and plane assembly and views of completed planes. Also includes photographs of test models and full size mock ups, including a mock up for the Model 200 Monomail, and for the military Model XP-9, which was never produced.

The collection represents the range of planes produced by Boeing during this period: private and commercial passenger planes, mail planes for delivering airmail under Boeing's recent U.S. Postal Department contract, pursuit and fighter planes for the military and planes for pilot training at the Boeing School of Aeronautics. Models include flying boats, biplanes and monoplanes.

Each photograph is embossed with the Boeing logo and stamped on verso with "Boeing Off. Photo" and the Boeing logo.

Use of the Collection Return to Top

Alternative Forms Available

View selections from the collection in digital format by clicking on the camera icons in the detailed listing below.

Restrictions on Use

The Museum of History & Industry is the owner of the materials in the Sophie Frye Bass Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from MOHAI before any reproduction use. The museum does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.

Preferred Citation

Boeing Airplane Company airplane production photographs, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle

Administrative Information Return to Top

Location of Collection

Location of Collection

Acquisition Information

Gift of Mrs. William Boeing, March 26, 1953

Processing Note

The photographs were bound into an album, probably during previous processing. Typewritten on the cover of the album was the title "Boeing Airplane Company Pictures, W E Boeing copies presented by Mrs. W E Boeing, Seattle Historical Society." The first half of the album was arranged into Boeing photo number order the remainder appeared to be in random order. The album was disassembled and the photographs rearranged in folders into Boeing photo number order, which corresponds approximately with the chronological order.

Collection is numbered beginning with number 2 number 1 has been assigned to the artifacts received with the donation.

Separated Materials

These materials are part of a donation that also included a small number of artifacts. These artifacts are cataloged and stored separately by MOHAI's Collections Department.

As the photographs are arranged in Boeing number order, photographs of same model planes are separated in the inventory. To facilitate searching by plane model, the following index lists planes by model number:

Model B-1E Item numbers 4,5
Model F3-B Item number 69
Model F4-B1 Item numbers 2,3, 66, 67, 98, 99
Model P-12B Item numbers 50, 109, 127
Model XP-9 Item numbers 56-58, 74-76
Model 40-B4 Item numbers 44, 45, 95, 121-122, 138-145
Model 40-B4A Item numbers 38-43
Model 40X Item numbers 15,16
Model 80A Item numbers 7-14, 18-20, 51-55, 71, 93, 94, 107, 132-137, 146, 147
Model 81B Item numbers 32-37
Model 100 Item numbers 80-85, 102-106
Model 200 Item numbers 48, 49, 59-64, 124-126
Model 202 Item numbers 77, 100, 101, 108, 116, 123, 128
Model 203 and 203 A Item numbers 24-31, 78, 79, 86-92, 96, 110-115, 117-120, 130, 131

Detailed Description of the Collection Return to Top

The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.


Boeing 737 MAX 9 United Airlines Aircraft Fleet Data and Registration Number

RegAircraft
N37514Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37513Boeing 737-9 MAX
N47512Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37510Boeing 737-9 MAX
N27511Boeing 737-9 MAX
N27509Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37508Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37507Boeing 737-9 MAX
N47505Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37506Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37504Boeing 737-9 MAX
N27503Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37502Boeing 737-9 MAX
N67501Boeing 737-9 MAX
N27515Boeing 737-9 MAX
N27519Boeing 737-9 MAX
N27520Boeing 737-9 MAX
N27526Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37516Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37518Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37521Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37522Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37523Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37525Boeing 737-9 MAX
N37527Boeing 737-9 MAX
N47517Boeing 737-9 MAX
N47524Boeing 737-9 MAX

Monomail broke the monotony

The decade of the 1930s saw a proliferation of monocoque and semi-monocoque aircraft fuselage designs that broke aeronautics out of the post-World War I doldrums.

From the end of the war in 1918 until around 1928, successful aircraft designs were iterative advances on old concepts. Fuselages typically were made of underlying wood or welded steel tube frameworks on which fabric or lightweight plywood panels supplied more streamlining than structure.

Monocoque construction — French for single shell or single hull — was used to create strong, lightweight wooden boats before its adoption in the race-winning Deperdussin monoplane of 1911. In this type of construction, the skin is an important part of the load-bearing ability of the structure. Early attempts at adapting aluminum to monocoque aircraft structures in Germany struggled with metal consistency.

In the U.S., military procurement favored the traditional construction methods after World War I. Then, in 1928, the Air Service awarded Boeing a contract for an unusual monoplane fighter with a semi-monocoque fuselage, the XP-9.

Though performance did not warrant production, the experience with the XP-9 helped give Boeing the confidence to embrace monocoque construction for more designs, including the elegant Monomail that actually preceded the XP-9 in flight.

The Boeing 221 Monomail showed elegantly simple lines and modern technologies that set the stage for the company’s growth in the design of large aircraft. That’s Seattle’s Seward Park beneath the Monomail as it cruises over Lake Washington. (Gerlad Balzer collection)

The Monomail targeted the then-popular market for single-engine mail and passenger planes. Its oval cross-section metal fuselage was mated to a low-mounted fully cantilever metal wing. The main landing gear retracted aft into wing recesses, leaving only part of the wheels exposed, substantially lessening air resistance. The clean single-wing design shed the drag of its traditional biplane ancestors, and the Monomail enjoyed a cruising speed of 135 miles per hour — between 25 and 30 miles faster than a contemporary Ford Trimotor.

It seems curious today, but in 1930, enough pilots voiced a preference for open cockpits that the otherwise streamlined Monomail featured an open seat for the pilot.

The Boeing YB-9 bomber of 1931 combined the smooth lines of all-metal semi-monocoque construction with legacy open cockpits that would soon fall out of favor. (Washington National Guard 116th Observation Squadron via John E. Dean collection)

The Monomail design used stout square aluminum tubing to make trusses for the cantilever wing spars. Concepts in airframe design that were proven on the Monomail would resonate with subsequent Boeing designs that shaped the company’s destiny throughout the 1930s.

When the Monomail first flew on May 6, 1930, with Eddie Allen at the controls, its purposeful streamlining could not deliver the optimal performance of the design due to the use of ground-adjustable propellers of the day. Those propellers had to be set either for high-speed flight efficiency or takeoff power, and the takeoff performance was required for decent load carrying, especially from some high altitude airfields. It wasn’t until 1933 when Hamilton-Standard’s controllable pitch propeller would catch up with the streamlining airframe advances promised by semi-monocoque and cantilever metal construction techniques.

The Model 200 Monomail was a one-off prototype, as was the longer Model 221, also called Monomail. The original Model 200 was designed for mail and freight only the Model 221 had six passenger seats in its lengthened fuselage.

The Model 200 came back to the factory for upgrade to Model 221A status, carrying eight passenger seats in a stretched fuselage.

The original Monomail was rebuilt as the Model 221A passenger and mail aircraft. (Gerald Balzer collection )

Even though both Monomails were essentially prototype aircraft, they were placed in service on Boeing Air Tansport routes where they were given a thorough workout in operational mail and passenger tasks.

Although the two Monomails did not engender a long production run, Boeing designers were quietly relentless in their pursuit of clean metal airframes following the debut of the Model 200. The ensuing B-9 twin-engine bomber of 1931 made a design mockery of the contemporary Keystone biplanes then in Air Corps service.

But other manufacturers were wise to the benefits of all-metal monocoque construction, and the B-9 and its handful of derivations lost a production contract to Martin for the metal B-10 as competitors strived for ever better designs.

The 1933 Boeing Model 247 was a fully developed expression of the semi-monocoque construction tenets the company had been expanding on for several years. This example became the flying emissary of the Pacific Northwest Aviation Historical Foundation, creating organization of the Museum of Flight in Seattle. (Robert Armstrong collection via Frederick A. Johnsen)

The march was on. Boeing doubled down on its twin-engine all-metal bomber design with the Model 247 airliner of 1933. The first American low wing multi-engine airliner, the 247 set the pace until Douglas overtook it with the more capacious DC-2 and DC-3 series later in the decade.

The cumulative result of Boeing’s design rationale reaching back to the Monomail was the Model 299 B-17 Flying Fortress — still low wing, still with square-tube truss structure in the wings, and originally with a tail design reminiscent of late B-9s and the 247 airliner.

Flown in company prototype form in 1935, the Model 299 enjoyed a long production run for aircraft of its era, closing out in 1945 with the delivery of the last B-17G Flying Fortress.

Boeing’s Model 299 of 1935 became the Air Corps’ B-17 Flying Fortress when ordered into initial production in 1936. Students of Boeing design history trace the Flying Fortress’ evolution back to the Monomail. (Frederick A. Johnsen collection)

Boeing’s iterations of semi-monocoque aircraft designs from the Monomail to the B-17 shared a tailwheel stance and relatively broad chord wings. By the time the B-29 Superfortress was developed, the switch was on to high aspect ratio wings and tricycle gear as the aeronautical tools of the next design era were embraced.

Frederick Johnsen

Fred Johnsen is a product of the historical aviation scene in the Pacific Northwest. The author of numerous historical aviation books and articles, Fred was an Air Force historian and curator. Now he devotes his energies to coverage for GAN as well as the Airailimages YouTube Channel. You can reach him at [email protected]

About Frederick Johnsen

Fred Johnsen is a product of the historical aviation scene in the Pacific Northwest. The author of numerous historical aviation books and articles, Fred was an Air Force historian and curator. Now he devotes his energies to coverage for GAN as well as the Airailimages YouTube Channel. You can reach him at [email protected]

General Aviation News reserves the right to delete snarky, offensive or off-topic comments. See our Comment Policy for more details.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


F-15A Baz versus the MiG-25 - Trap from a textbook

The USSR developed a powerful MiG-25 fighter aircraft in the late 1960s. This aircraft was not originally to be exported, but after Lieutenant Viktor Belenko flew with one MiG-25P to the base of Hakodate in Japan, there was nothing to hide. The aircraft was released for export. Thus, although there was never a conflict between the great powers, the MiG-25 had the opportunity to fight, over Lebanon, with its counterpart, the American F-15. Although both aircraft flew under the insignia of other countries.


Boeing XP-15

At the end of the 20. years was Boeing's obvious that the era of dvouplošníků will soon be past his prime and has begun to explore options jednoplošníků. In 1928 started the first monoplane fighter, XP-9, but failed utterly, and the company decided to build another machine at his own expense, on the basis of the verified elements. A new project initially looked like a Model 89 (XF4B-1), modified for a high-wing, with the wing slightly displaced for the sake of keeping the center of gravity, and was designated Model 96. But soon it was decided to use all-metal construction, with poloskořepinovým hull derived from the XP-9, and the designation was changed to Model 202 (numbers 104-199 was meanwhile reserved for marking the profiles of the wings). In the final form of a Model 202 still reminded P-12/F4B without the bottom wings and the top enlarged, now with aluminum alloy structure instead of the wooden and duralovým coating. The rear part of the fuselage was modeled after the XP-9 poloskořepinová duralumin, the front had a skeleton of welded tubes covered duralovým sheet. The tail surfaces, of course, duralumin, were originally smooth. As a civilian machine never carried weapons, but it was calculated with the usual two machine guns.

As a factory machine carrying Model 202 only the civil registration of X-270V, and also got a civilian coloring, which at that time the factory used a - hull in green color, with the tail surfaces and the bottom surface of the wings grey, and the upper surface of the orange. First flew in January 1930, which was ahead of its problematic jednoplošného predecessor. Engine Wasp soon got cover the type of Townend, which greatly influenced the maximum speed, and also got a new rudder, because the original had a lack of desktop. A new taller rudder was rounded and was covered with corrugated sheet metal. In this form the Model was 202 on the basis of the contract of lease delivered on the Wright Field where was 10. march 1930 adopted under the unofficial designation XP-15. XP-15 excelled over the P-12B speed, it has worsened but the rate of climb and maneuverability, and, of course, also the landing speed. This led to the fact that neither the XP-15 was finally ordered, and even a prototype was never army purchased.

After returning to the factory was the XP-15 used to further development in an effort to eventually achieve mass production. All the hopes but they were dashed 7. February, 1931, when he was the XP-15 is destroyed in an accident near Seattle. During the vertical climb had failed one of the blades, the vibration came off the engine. A little bit better with the led Model 205, which was basically the 202 modified for service on aircraft carriers, and who, though he did not get into mass production, he was a navy at least purchased. Another consolation was that many of the elements used on the XP-15 was then successfully used to konzervativnějším, dvouplošném demonstrator Model 208, which became the prototype for more than 200 P-12E and F and F4B-3 and -4..


Watch the video: Запуск и Взлет Boeing 747-400 в X-Plane 11 Гайд